The world of translation has been around for hundreds of years. The industry grows from time to time in any countries, including in Indonesia. Now, even students at senior high school can Translate English to Indonesian, despite short and simple texts. Actually, professional translation industry also grows in Indonesia.
Finding translated books, novels, or articles is hassle free. Translated version of popular books and novels can be found in the college libraries around the nation. Students of English Language Teaching Departement are learning to translate English to Indonesian Document in different subjects, including classic novels.
Translate English to Indonesian: Literary Translation
To Translate English into Indonesia Language for fiction works, like novels, poems, screenplays, or drama, requires different sets of skills from the translators. The translators should be able to maintain plot of the story without losing any contexts, which make the story interesting. Fictions works aim at interesting the readers or audience. The translation should not distort the source text. The translated literary works should be not only understandable but also interesting for the audience in the target language.
In fact, translators of literary works are faced with a number of problems, which translators of other materials may not face. They include the following:
- The literary works, like novels or screenplays, contain conversations between the characters. Sometimes, finding the right equivalents in the target language can be difficult.
- Settings of the story. Another unique quality of the literary works is special emphasis on the context, where a conversation happens. The writers usually describe the settings to stimulate the readers’ imagination on how the scenes or the conversation happens. The literary translators should be able to do so when they Translate English into Indonesian language, for instance.
- Literary works, particularly classic novels, frequently use idioms. They may use classic terms, which may not be found in the daily conversation. When these words are kept in their original terms, the readers may not understand them. However, when they are translated literally, the meaning may be distorted.
- Different eras. Translators of classic literary works to those of contemporary novels face different challenges. For some reasons, the former seems to be more challenging. However, if the translators can do the job well, the results are mostly worthy. Translators of contemporary works usually target young readers. Use of jargon or popular terms may help.
Accordingly, not all translators can translate English to Indonesian when it comes to literary works. However, a number of great translators do the jobs perfectly.
Translate English to Indonesian: Translators’ Requirements
You certainly know that some great literary works have been translated into Bahasa Indonesia. Translators of William Shakespeare’s works like Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet or Agatha Christie’s works must do their work hard. Great literary translators need to do the following competence to produce great works:
- Contextual understanding. The literary translators should look into specific features of the text. They should understand the context, like emotions, meanings, and characters in the story. This is quite challenging. A translator needs much practice to obtain this skill.
- Cultural understanding. The translators need to understand the cultural background behind the stories or the poems. This way, they can describe them in a way that is understandable or acceptable in the target-language culture. Sometimes, literary translators cannot stick to the strict grammatical rules. Some degrees of deviations are used to reflect depth and meaning of the story.
- Understanding of the purpose. Every type of literary works requires different approach. Therefore, a literary translator needs to understand the purpose of the translated text. For instance, translated screenplays are mostly used for screenplays in the target language. Therefore, the translators need to focus on the objective. For instance, when they Translate English to Indonesian for screenplay, they need to make sure that the translated versions are understandable and acceptable by Indonesian audience. That is the rule.
- Personal style. Literary translators may have different personal approaches to get the job done. As cited in Marcus’ 2018 essay on Lithub online, Elena Marcu, who translated James Baldwin’s Giovanni’s Room, said that she read out the translated sentences to hear how they speak. She did to find out whether they sounded correct or whether they needed correction. It is an example of personal approach in translating.
Therefore, translating literary works like novels, poems, or screenplays, needs dedicated translators. A literary work is ideally translated by a single translator, but he/she will need other translators to review. That is how we work for literary translation tasks at English to Indonesian Translation Service.
We dedicated professional translators, who have background knowledge and skills in literary and have experience in translating literary works. We work with authors who want to get global recognition for their literary works. Our team of professional translators is ready to Translate English to Indonesian for classic or contemporary works. Contact Us for more information, details, or instant quotes.